Friday, March 20, 2009

GT5 Commentary: Gran Turismo Needs a Greater Overall Racing Presence... to an Extent

Please check out my video:



Why I love the Gran Turismo series is because I'm able to race as hard as I can, but then come back down to go down to go tune cars and simply relax. Gran Turismo doesn't have any real deal in which you feel like you're in a proper racing-type environment. You know, it doesn't sometimes feel like you're part of a racing team or that you're actually involved in racing, though you are racing cars in the game. It's basically collect-and-race. What I'm envisioning for GT5 is that I FEEL more like I'm in a proper racing series in a game without being severely commited or obligated to race. Or that I have contract offers or something. Basically, something in the general realm of feeling like part of a race team going up against other teams in the game would suffice.

This blog entry mostly involves establishing a better motorsports presence. A future entry will include how to actually implement a racing-type atmosphere.



Liveries.
Something I'm reminded of as far as racing against other team cars is playing "ToCA Race Driver" games. Among the fictional championships, you actually see cars painted up for racing, even if it's a street car just painted up in a racing way. That is what I'd like to see. I want to see fictional (just to avoid having to pursue copyrights) teams. I want to see Polyphony Digital's creativity in utilizing some kind of livery editor or in trying to specially paint-up cars just to get the feeling that you're racing against team cars and other teams. When I look on the track, I don't see a bunch of other cars- I see other drivers and other teams after the same thing I'm after. The series has yet to capture this feeling to a great extent.

Character to Championships.
The Gran Turismo World Championship is a championship that's of great importance to me in Gran Turismo games. So I want it to have some extra character outside of just showing up with a super-fast car racing a bunch of events. I want to feel like I'm engaged. Immerse me in a pure racing environment to where I feel like other Gran Turismo racers look up to me and others as part of a championship. In other words, make us feel like we're on TV with the lights on bright. Make me feel like it's primetime, and I'm in the race of my life. So how do you acheive this? One such way is to basically come along with various championships featuring various cars and tracks. I think more championships should feature race-prepared vehicles so that it feels like proper racing championships. Qualifying isn't necessary, but at least bring it back to help.

In addition to adding some character to championships, perhaps make certain championships and races to where you need to be invited or something to compete in them. For example, some championship series can have "Knockout Qualifying" like in F1 where you narrow the field down to where the best cars try to maintain their status and avoid qualifying guaranteed last place. It may mean you're in championships for longer than you want, but at least you feel more engaged in a championship than more like "get me in, get me out."


The Other Drivers.
You make an effort to make your car the best on the track in addition to showing off the best of your skill. Why don't some of the other AI racers have this sort of soul in racing? I'm not saying make them look more like this is a reality TV series than a video game, but at least show some properly-painted and tuned up cars either at your level or at a level higher or lower than you. GT4's Difficulty deal for Arcade Mode races and Family Cup events gives you a sort of barometer to work with. Imagine going up against 15 other drivers with cars tuned at your level or somewhere above/below your level. Obviously, better driving skills by the others also help.


This "...to an Extent" Thing.
I mention that I'd like to see a better motorsports presence in GT5. However, I still want to still know I'm playing a GT game rather than a full-on, hardcore racing sim. I don't want this to be a game that controls my life when I play it. The key point I've mentioned is cool-down. I want to still be able to compete in whatever I like without having to feel seriously under contract or something to race in a certain series, thus banning me from competing in others.



The Gran Turismo Way of Life.
Here's what I'm thinking. Sixteen cars usually show up for race day. I put a lot of faith in the car I've bought and tuned up to compete in racing competition. This same feeling is the kind of feeling and heart I'd love to see in Gran Turismo 5. To an extent, I want to feel like I'm more involved for when I'm in racing competition. I'm not just racing against AI or human drivers, I'm up against teams. Again, make it LIKE I'm part of a race team in proper championships, without feeling like a GTR or ToCA Race Driver where I can't really enjoy my cooldown periods after races. Will GT5 have this? Will there be this level of immersion? We shall see.



Feel free to comment at will!

No comments:

Post a Comment