Monday, November 22, 2010

Just Bring on 2011...

...because this sports year has been depressing for me as a sports fan. All or most of my favorite sports teams have failed (sometimes badly) this season. This was further brought about as my Rockets just lost to the Suns 123-116. Here's a rap sheet for you showing my frustration as a sports fan this season:

* 2010 Texans
great disappointment. I love them, but they've failed in clutch times and overall. I hate the notion of people saying we find creative ways to lose games. Save talk like "creative ways to lose games" for times like when Sage Rosenfels basically gave away a 17-point lead on the Colts at home. THAT is creative losing. The loss to Jacksonville on that Hail Mary was a prayer from Heaven answered by the Jags as we failed in heartbreaking fashion. Yet still, it won't stop networks like ESPN showcasing the Texans to show them while they are down and prostituting their "Always Hate Houston" policy. I am still a Texans fan even if we're croaking winning opportunities.

* 2010-2011 Rockets (so far)
What the hell can I say? I'm a Rockets fan, but this team is much better than their current 3-10 record after letting Phoenix dominate them just tonight. The Rockets need to get their heads in the game and play much better than how they are playing. It has been since 2008 or so since last making the playoffs. It's been since 1995 since we've been champions. Some fans are already calling Clutch City as "Choke City." I'm still a Rockets fan despite our depressing start to the 2010-2011 season. In preparing this blog, one woman just called into the call-in show after the Rockets' loss that we're finding "creative ways to lose." I'm like... damn it, SHUT THE HELL UP WITH THAT! There are teams in other sports much worse than us that do much better in finding ways to lose. Stop making it sound like we're the only team or the only sports city that finds ways to fail.

* 2010 Houston Astros
The Astros made a huge turnaround to go from doormat to NL Pennant Winners in 2005. Since? Out of the playoffs five successive seasons with pathetic play all around. Roy Oswalt reluctantly wanted a trade to play for a contender despite his solid work for the Astros. Then... whoever would have heard "former Astro Lance Berkman?" Isn't that a shame to hear? This team is in disarray and has been for some time. I almost wish I could clone the 1998 Houston Astros so that we stand a better chance of winning than falling on our faces constantly. Michael Bourn, however, is still one of the most solid players, and he had a heck of a year. Still, this team needs to do more winning than failing. I'm still n Astros fan despite my hometown baseball team's inability to consistently be a contender.

* 2010 Houston Dynamo
We've stumbled a great deal this season and never shown the championship form we've enjoyed since the Dynamo arrived in Houston. I don't usually watch football (as in "soccer"), but I am huge on the Dynamo in the MLS. You can't win them all. You can't be a heavyweight champ all the time because someone will always knock you on your bottom. I certainly love the Dynamo despite our losses.

* 2010 Houston Cougars- Football
I'm a Cougars fan, and while this season hasn't been completely disappointing, it's still sad Case Keenum was done for the year along with the other guy we lost at the UCLA game. I'm still a UH fan regardless; just sad this season could have been much better.

* USA Soccer
Ousted by Ghana when many predicted the United States could go very far, I was sad the US basically seemed to give up in their World Cup match against Ghana. I saw a US team basically concede defeat by not making timely defensive moves to try to give themselves a realistic chance. Football/Soccer isn't our sport, but I am still a great fan of USA football/soccer.

* Pearland Little League
I do cheer on the Pearland Little League team that played in the Little League World Series. They just get hammered by two different teams, basically being outscored 24-2 respectively to Hawaii (a 10-0 defeat) and Chinese Taipei (a 14-2 defeat). I still have respect for these little guys on a job well done.

* Jeff Gordon
Jeff Gordon is used to winning. It's sad when a four-time NASCAR champ has a 50+ winless streak. I absolutely hated how this season has gone for him this season. Just never finding that winning magic. He hasn't won a race since Texas in 2009 or 2008. If that's not bad enough, his pit crew was traded to the #48 team. There were also those times late in the season when Jeff Gordon just had his rough 2010 season end in frustration. I love Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon, but I'm sad Jeff Gordon hasn't been in his past form. Today's NASCAR is basically Jimmie Johnson... and 42 other drivers. I still love Jeff Gordon.

* Danica Patrick
Let it be known that I love one Danica Sue Patrick and love watching her race. This past season, unfortunately, hasn't been very good in the IndyCar Series. She had an AMAZING run in ARCA at Daytona, finishing 6th or so. My heart went out to Danica in her Nationwide runs, even when Danica was on pace for a great finish until being tagged by James Buescher at one race. Danica had a great season last season, though the second half was a bit rough as she had a tough time getting out of 5th in the points. If there was a favorite race from 2010 with Danica, hands down- her performance at Texas. She was rock solid and raced harder than I've ever seen her race. I think Danica is finding her way in racing in NASCAR Nationwide. She will be a consistent contender in NASCAR in due time. I still love seeing Danica race.



The one prevalent issue in all of this? I'm still a fan of many of these various teams. I am not going be a Lakers fan or a Spurs (especially not the Spurs) just because they're doing better than my Rockets. I'm not going to praise the Colts or Titans just because my Texans are disappointing as crap. Some people just become fans of other teams in bandwagon fashion just to be fond of winning teams. I think some people stop becoming fans of their favorite (yet struggling) teams strategically to say that their real favorite team is so bad, that they'd rather follow other teams than see their true favorite teams stink up games. Like every team has to dominate EVERY season. Sports do not work that way. Teams will stink. Athletes will stink. May not happen often, but not every sports team dominates, and it's not the end of the world if one team just isn't doing that well. I'm just sad that most of my favorites have done so poorly this year.

Two feel-good stories for this year for me- USA basketball in the FIBA World Championship in Turkey and Texas Southern Tigers' football clinching the SWAC West conference crown. Also, I'm proud for the NL to win both the All-Star Game and the World Series. I have NL solidarity because of my Astros and the handful of great NL teams. I'm also proud for UH men's basketball because the Cougars returned to March Madness for the first time since 1992. I just wished they played better in their game against Maryland in the NCAA tournament. Other than this, just bring on 2011 because most of this year has been depressing to me as a sports fan. Perhaps releasing my frustration as a sports fan will be motivation for my favorites to play better for the rest of this year/season or for next year/season.

So... bring on 2011 because 2010 has been most depressing for me as a sports fan. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment