Monday, May 3, 2010

"Like" for Facebook Fan Pages... Rather Than "Become a Fan?"

I "like" fan pages... or so Facebook has done to try to "get more people to become fans of things." So by virtue of replacing "Become a Fan" with "Like" that more people will want to be fans? I don't think so! When you're a fan of something, you don't LIKE something; you LOVE something. That's why it's called "Becoming a Fan," and it's why I wished Facebook would revert to "Become a Fan" rather than "Like." Or think about it like this... I "like" Facebook rather than "being a fan" of Facebook?

I guess according to Facebook, I can't be a fan of things I love. I guess I "like" Taylor Swift. I guess I "like" the American Le Mans Series. I guess I "like" many other Facebook fan pages...



--- The "Like" Theory ---
I commonly get messages saying that somebody "Likes" my material. Like means two things to Facebook people- appreciation and subscription. The latter is what I think "Like" basically does. "Like" is basically a mini-subscription to anything posted on Facebook to me. It also means appreciation, but I see it more as a "Like." When you don't "Like" something, you can't keep up with comments posted by other people. The exception is for Fan Pages, where you'll see lots of Likes showing appreciation for material. So what to take away from this is that "Like" for friend pages are for appreciation and/or mini-subscriptions to things, and "Like" for Fan Pages are for posts made by the Fan Page person/people.

If it's one thing I DO like about the new system, however, it's that I know how many of my Facebook friends (and who) are fans of something. I just wish the "See All" feature were available to see who all are fans of a Facebook fan page instead of just randomly showing six profiles with no way to see ALL of the fans and friends that are fans of a Fan Page.



--- Why Isn't There a "Dislike?" ---
I assume that if you don't "Like" something, there's no need for a Dislike because you didn't approve of it. YouTube recently changed their video rating system from the five star method to the like and dislike method. If you don't like a video, you show it by clicking the thumbs down. Many people want a "Dislike" on Facebook. Perhaps the key reason why is because there may be things you may not like from what someone has posted. Someone may make a post saying that Hannah Montana is the best Disney show of all-time. If you disagree, you don't post anything, and you don't "Like" the post made by that person. You can show some disapproval as an alternative.

There's another aspect of a Dislike to me. Dislike would be like not wanting to receive updates from people or of certain posts. You can hide certain applications from showing up in your Status Updates and Wall. Thing is, you're probably better off removing yourself from one's friend list or from one's fan page if you REALLY don't like something or someone. Only a few times have I had to block someone. One person trying to be my friend decides to Facebook Chat me saying "fuk u dirty nigga" in an IM session. If you don't like someone, you simply don't try to get involved friending or joining a fan site. Same as my YouTube channel. Don't subscribe to my channel if you don't like me. Just ignore my material instead and spare me your dislike.





There are a number of people who are not fans of Facebook using "Like" instead of "Become a Fan" for fan pages. Are you one of them? How do you feel about Facebook changing "Become a Fan" to "Like" for fan pages? Do you also think there should be a "Dislike" after what I've described here? Thank you for reading!

One last cheap plug... visit my Facebook Fan Page (or just click on the button in my Facebook widget to automatically declare yourself a fan) and Become a Fan if you like my material! Be sure to add your name to my Fan Page if you are a fan (not "Like") my blog, my online videos, or just me in general. You may even add me as a Facebook friend if you really are a fan of mine. You can even "Like" the Facebook group called I Miss "Become a Fan" if you are against the new "Like" system for Fan Pages. I love all of my fans. Thanks so much for you continued support!

No comments:

Post a Comment