Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Thoughts on Ugly Betty

In 2007 or 2008, I discovered Ugly Betty. Ugly Betty was a show I've grown to love for its combination of comedy, drama, and haute couture. It was where I've become fond of the beautiful America Ferrera (Betty Suarez on the show), then later became fond of the beautiful Ana Ortiz (Hilda on the show). It's where I've become a fan of the very handsome Eric Mabius (Daniel on the show). It's where I've considered Vanessa Williams (Wilhelmina on the show) as perhaps the most stylish villaness in any show. It was also the show where I've become respectful of Mark Indelicato (Justin on the show). It's sad this show would eventually get that untimely deathblow. It was also where I disliked Amanda's (Becki Newton) character, but became fond of her style.

NOTE: This blog entry contains links to Amazon products. You are welcome to click on images and links to learn more about each item or even purchase these items if you so choose. Please see "An Important Amazon Note" in my blog's sidebar to see more information on any Amazon items shown.



Ugly Betty - The Complete First Season
^ from amazon.com



--- My Thoughts on "Ugly Betty" Getting Axed ---
I think it all began when Ugly Betty was moved from Thursday nights to Friday night, then to Wednesday night just to boost ratings. Thursday night and Friday night to me are wrestling nights (TNA and WWE SmackDown! respectively). There's no way I'd pass up on wrestling. I even made time to miss some TNA wrestling when I saw a two-hour season finale of Ugly Betty that was VERY powerful.



--- Fashion Influences from Ugly Betty Characters ---
This is where I chat about the fashion influences of some of the Ugly Betty characters...

Betty Suarez.
America Ferrera is truly beautiful as America. America Ferrera is "ugly" as Betty Suarez. But in my view, there's a strange synergy to Betty's style. Everything from clashing patterns to various colors makes Betty's sense of style purely unique. Her style is usually consists of a jacket, a nice top, a flowy mid-length skirt, some bright-colored tights, and some cute pumps. Everything strangely comes together nicely.

Hilda Suarez.
Ana Ortiz was an actress I've grown to love. Whereas Betty is seen as a hot mess to others, Hilda shows some sexy and chic style. Her style is more along the lines of a lovely tunic, some jeans, and either some hot sandals or boots. Some bold accessories accentuate her style all the further.

Wilhelmina.
Wilhelmina may be the most stylish villainess in any show. I usually associate Wilhelmina with wearing a lovely dress or skirt set, a bold pair of pumps, and some bold accessories. Hey... if you're going to be a villainess, best be a stylish villainess! :)

Daniel.
Daniel was a character whom I've respected for his immaculate charm. He was always a sharply-dressed cat on the show sporting wonderful business suits. Adding to his handsome charm is his great voice.

Amanda.
Amanda can be a witchy character, but I even admit... she is a sassy fashionista with some lovely style. There were a few episodes where I thought Amanda was the best-dressed character in an entire episode. Amanda can be a bit annoying, but her fashion style is anything but.


Honorable Mentions.
* Claire Meade (Judith Light) has some classy and lovely style from episodes I've seen her.
* Marc St. James (Michael Urie) is also a cool character. Perhaps the male equivalent of Amanda. I got a little respect for him since he's a Texas boy (like myself), born in Dallas.
* Cal Hartley (David Rasche) was a sharply-dressed man, like Daniel. Cal is a powerful figure.



--- Thoughts on Ugly Betty ---
It was very fun to follow Ugly Betty for the few series I've gotten to see it. That was a great comedy-drama series that I've loved for humor and fashion. The storylines were played out very well. Every award the Ugly Betty series has amassed was well-deserved. Best of luck to all the actors and actresses that have made Ugly Betty one of the finest shows of the past ten or so years. Sad this wonderful show got axed.

Thanks for all the memories, Ugly Betty. Thanks for the memories.

If you're an Ugly Betty fan, feel free to check these items out on Amazon. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment